It is important to understand the speech pathology definition and methods. Speech pathology is a method or technique of treatment of a pathological condition in formulating ideas, thoughts and feelings into the form of verbal expression or oral communication medium. It is terminological that speech pathology is defined as a study of language, speech and sound disorders that are intended to be used as the basis for making diagnosis and treatment.
In its development speech pathology has a wider range of understanding by studying matters related to the process of speaking, including the process of swallowing, rhythm disturbance / fluidity and other neuromotor disorders of articulation organs.
Speech pathologist job description
Speech pathologist has the role, function and competence as follows:
1. Providing speech therapy services to patients who experience swallowing and communicating which includes speech disturbances, language, sound, and rhythm / fluency.
2. Managing speech therapy services independently and integrated in the level of basic services, referral services and services undertaken by non-governmental organizations.
3. Providing educational services to the general public about the existence and existence of speech therapists in health development efforts and continuously conducting educational process for therapists to improve the quality of professionalism, such as ability in self-development, credibility and creativity in order to achieve sub-specialism.
4. Assist in conducting research for matters related to impaired ability to swallow and communicate, collecting empirical data from experience of carrying out their duties as material for further assessment.
5. Identify the health problems associated with speech therapy and related matters.
6. Planning actions in the field of speech therapy and related matters according to the needs of the patient.
7. Take action in the field of speech therapy and related matters, in accordance with the patient’s needs in order to be able to swallow and communicate back into an independent and productive community life.
8. Evaluating the outcome of action in the field of speech therapy and related matters using the applicable criteria (defined).
There are several strategies in speech therapy. Naturalistic strategies and directive strategies are suitable for children with apraxia.
In a naturalistic, therapy is done by involving a variety of toys because play is a natural medium for children.
Directive strategy is more directed to drilling. This strategy is done by the process of the therapist saying the word and the child trying to repeat the word.
Before determining the method of therapy, there are 2 things to note in speech therapy, namely:
a. The bottom-up approach
Pathologists will start from the easy / fundamental to the more difficult levels such as ‘o’ (vowel), ‘mu’ (consonant-vowel).
b. The hierarchical approach
The pathologist will start from the level of the child’s ability, from words that the child can say.
Speech pathology definition has one single definition, but keep in mind that like there are various doctors, there are several pathological types. And every pathologist has different speech therapy strategies and methods. The differences are based on the conditions and the decision made by the pathologists or therapists itself.